Getting your yard ready for spring can seem like a lot of work, but it is work worth doing. Not only does it make your yard and property look amazing, but it can also give you a heads up for any problems that need to be addressed and taken care of before they become major issues saving you time and money on maintaining your property.
What Can You Do To Prepare Your Lawn And Yard For The Summer Season?
Spring is the time to give your lawn and yard some TLC so you can enjoy it all summer long. Follow this checklist to make sure all your bases are covered!
- Lawns, Gardens, & Flowerbeds: Lawns, gardens, and flower beds add beauty to your yard and provide fresh food for the family, but also need maintenance in the spring before everything is ready to grow.
- If you haven’t already, remove last year’s plant debris from the garden.
- Till garden plots or turn the soil in raised beds as soon as the ground can be worked.
- Weed perennial beds and add new mulch if necessary.
- Check the soil in container gardens or raised beds and add new soil or compost as necessary.
- Fertilize and mow your lawn as soon as the grass is 3-4 inches high.
- Trim or prune shrubs and trees.
- Driveways: Sweep down paved driveways with a push broom to remove salt, sand, and soil from the winter. Follow by pressure washing the entire area to remove traces of salt from winter roads and other winter debris. Consider hiring a professional to pressure wash all of your exterior surfaces.
- Walkways: Paved or stone walkways need the same care as a paved driveway and should be swept clean, and pressure washed in the early spring and fall. Always check the recommendations for cleaning your stone pathway to ensure you do not damage or flake the stone. If you are unsure, let the professionals at Squeegee Squad handle the job for you!
- Home Exterior: The outside of your home collects dust and grime throughout the year, especially if you live in a dry, dusty region. It is also common for spiders and insects to build webs and nests in the eaves or along the home’s foundation. To remove environmental grime and insect debris the best solution is to give the entire exterior of your home a good pressure wash.
- Windows: Windows need to be washed seasonally too. While you can easily wash lower windows by hand, second-story or hard-to-reach windows benefit from a professional window cleaning service. This removes dirt and grime (and the stray spider web or two) from windows you simply can’t reach on your own.
- Gutters: Gutters can get clogged with old leaves, twigs, and other natural debris from nearby trees and shrubs. Cleaning them in the spring before the summer rains begin will help ward off issues with gutter damage, overflowing water, and pests taking up residence in your gutters. You can hire a gutter cleaning professional to assist with this spring clean-up task.
What Kind Of Problems Can You Run Into With Seasonal Clean-Up?
Sometimes spring clean-up reveals underlying issues that can turn into big problems if they are not attended to. Identifying issues before they have progressed gives you time to take care of them before they become major expensive issues. Some common problems you may encounter are:
- Clogged, cracked, or damaged gutters or pests in the gutters.
- Cracked Pavement in driveways or uneven stones and bricks in walkways caused by frost heaves in the winter.
- Dirty, loose or ill-fitted windows or screens that need cleaning, repairing, or replacing.
- Damaged siding from the wear and tear of snow and ice during the winter.
Unless you have extra time on your hands and are experienced with using a pressure washer, hiring a professional to pressure wash your home exterior, patios, walkways, and driveway is the most efficient solution to getting your house and yard in tip-top condition and ready for the summer. A professional cleaner has the tools, experience, and expertise to clean your home and yard properly and alert you of any potential problems before they become major issues.
Hire A Professional For All Of Your Summer Cleaning Needs!
The professionals at Squeegee Squad can assist with all of your spring and summer cleaning needs! From gutter cleaning, pressure washing, and window washing, we have you covered! Our crew members are professional, uniformed, and friendly. We take great care both inside and outside of your home.