Today, there is a tremendous amount of attention being paid to the environment. Businesses that want to increase customer loyalty need to show their customer base that they care about the impact they have on the environment. By earning relevant certifications, companies can show their customers that they have a positive impact on the environment, not a negative one. One of the most popular examples is the Green Star Rating System. What do you need to do if you want to earn a Green Star Rating for your building?
What Is a Green Star Building?
If a building has been labeled as a Green Star building, the building itself is sustainable. By encouraging building owners and businesses to apply for a Green Star Rating, companies take an active role in reducing the impact of climate change and hitting an eventual goal of net-zero emissions.
A Green Star building is commonly rated during the early stages, but it is not required. For example, some buildings apply for a Green Star Rating during the planning, design, and construction process. That way, building owners can be proactive in making sure that their buildings meet than criteria necessary for a strong Green Star Rating. A Green Star building has ultimately met rigorous standards that have earned it a certification as a sustainable structure.
What Is the Green Star Rating System?
The Green Star Rating system was founded by the Green Building Council of Australia. This is a commonly used, internationally recognized rating system that sets standards for resilient, healthy, and positive buildings. It is a voluntary sustainability rating system for buildings in Australia, meaning that nobody is required to submit their building to the council for rating; however, having a Green Star Rating can help you show customers, clients, and your own employees that your building has a positive impact on the environment.
The rating system itself provides independent verification criteria for buildings and projects. With the Green Star Rating, buildings and projects showcase that they are sustainable. The maximum rating that you can earn through the program is six stars, and there are separate categories on which the building is judged.
How Do You Earn a Green Star Rating for Your Building?
There are several steps involved if you would like to submit your building or project for certification. First, you need to register your project with Green Star. Then, you will be asked for a wide variety of documents that you need to complete and submit to show that you’re building meets the necessary sustainability standards.
Then, these documents are reviewed carefully by an independent panel of experts who will assign your building and overall score and rating. There are several categories involved in the assessment process. They include:
- Management: You will need to show that your management team is committed to minimizing the environmental impact of your building.
- Indoor Environment Quality: Your indoor environmental quality has to be maximized, which includes ensuring your building has solid air quality.
- Energy: You should show how your building minimizes energy usage and maximizes its efficiency. The less electricity, heat, and air conditioning your building requires, the more sustainable it should be.
- Transport: If there are any commercial vehicles or transportation requirements associated with your building or project, you should showcase how you will minimize their impact on the environment as well.
- Water: You should institute measures to minimize water usage and maximize water conservation efforts.
- Land Use and Ecology: You should prepare documents showing that your building will minimize its impact on the surrounding environment, protecting the surrounding ecosystem.
- Emissions: Documents will also ask you to prove that you have taken steps to minimize any potential carbon emissions.
After carefully assessing your building and all of these categories, you will eventually be awarded a Green Star Rating. You can receive a rating from one to six stars, with six stars being the best. After you receive your rating, it lasts for three years and 90 days after the date listed on your performance certificate. You will be required to undergo yearly reviews to maintain your Green Star Rating.
Trust Squeegee Squad To Help You Take Care of Your Building
If you want to maximize the sustainability of your building, you must make sure you take care of it. That means relying on a professional service. You should rely on the experts at Squeegee Squad to help you take care of your building. By investing in regular gutter cleaning, pressure washing, and window cleaning services, you can maximize the aesthetic appeal of your building while also positioning your company as a beacon of sustainability.
If you would like to learn more about how services from Squeegee Squad can help you, reach out to us today for a free quote!