Nothing adds charm to a city, area, or district like professionally restored historical buildings. These old offices, warehouses, and factories have stories to tell that help the memories and events of a past time live on for future generations.
Historic buildings also offer a great insight into the architecture, engineering, and the history of the era in which the building was constructed. Working with an experienced, professional building restoration company is crucial for the proper care of this priceless piece of history.
What’s the Difference Between Restoring and Refurbishing?
When restoring a historical building, certain rules need to be followed to keep the integrity and character intact. Many cities have a historical preservation society that oversees certain aspects of the historical building restoration process to ensure the integrity of the building and its value.
First and foremost, it is important to know the difference between restoring and refurbishing – especially if you have a historic building that needs repair. While the terms are often used interchangeably, the processes are completely different:
- Restoring – This process involves returning a building to its original condition. This is a common practice in historical buildings so that the architecture and design adhere to the area’s heritage and time period. The goal of restoring a historic home is to be as authentic as possible.
- Refurbishing – This process involves improving a building with new decor, updating equipment, and replacing various items in the building. While you can refurbish commercial buildings, this process does not typically apply to historic buildings but instead to outdated buildings that need to be improved and upgraded.
Although refurbishing a building is similar to restoring a building, the main idea of refurbishing is to find better solutions and new designs to enhance the building, whereas restoration aims at keeping the features the same.
How Are Historical Buildings Restored?
Over the years, harsh weather, pollution, and natural corrosives have begun to take their toll on most buildings. From water leaks due to deteriorating window gaskets and failing caulking to unsightly stained buildings caused by expanding rebar; restoring a historic building involves a variety of tasks.
It all begins with a thorough inspection of the historic property in need of restoration to assess the different aspects of the building that need attention.
To protect the structural integrity of your historical building during the restoration process, this in-depth inspection includes identifying issues that may lead to serious problems in the future, including:
- White Scum
Working with a knowledgeable and professional commercial building restoration company is crucial to protect your investment and ensure that your historic property lasts for many more years to come.
Top 5 Most Popular Restoration Services for Historical Buildings
While there are a variety of different tasks that may be needed to complete the restoration of your historical building, here are some of the most common restoration projects for historical properties and how these services can help bring your property back to its original look and style.
- Glass Restorations – Restoring the glass in historic buildings is an important part of the restoration process. Helpful for removing scratches, hazing, and other types of window glass damage, glass restoration can bring old windows back to life and save money over expensive window replacement.
- Caulking/Waterproofing – Savvy building owners know the extensive damage water can cause to historical buildings, so they count on the professional teams like Squeegee Squad to waterproof their property for protection. Our commercial waterproofing options ensure your building is free of water leaks with professional, comprehensive building caulking and waterproofing services. Our services protect your building from expensive water damage for maximum longevity.
- Pressure Washing – Since rust, efflorescence, and leaching can be hard to remove from the facade of historical buildings, our professionals use the best pressure washing techniques along with environmentally friendly cleaners to expertly remove any stains from and restore the appearance of your building.
Commercial Building Restoration By Squeegee Squad
From slate and glass to brick and metal, the skilled restoration professionals at Squeegee Squad can help with restoring historic buildings while adhering to the standards and guidelines of local historical preservation societies. You can trust our restoration team for the best service for your precious home.