The wooden playset makes a charming addition to almost any home, property, or communal living area. Both ergonomic and multifunctional, playsets can provide children of all ages with a host of physical activities, including sliding, climbing, balancing, and swinging. The use of the playset in modern child development is well documented and suggests that these tools help our young people grow, learn, and thrive. Whether you are a parent, a grandparent, or simply young at heart, installing a children’s playset or playground around your residential property can be an enormous benefit for kids of all ages.
Of course, purchasing a high-quality wooden playset is no small undertaking and may cost homeowners several hundred dollars on the low end. Some of the more expensive wooden playsets cost several thousand dollars to buy, ship, and install. Choosing to purchase a structure of this magnitude does not come without challenges, which is why many homeowners prefer to keep their investment in excellent condition.
How do you maintain a wooden playset for the long term, and what can you do to ensure that your investment stands firm?
Today, we are going to cover the following points:
- The composition of a wooden playset
- How wooden playsets can be maintained
- Cleaning your wooden playset
- The frequency of playset cleaning or power washing
What Are Children’s Playsets Made From?
A playset usually has several features and functions which make the object more attractive to children. Swing sets, monkey bars, slides, climbing ramps, and other items may be present on or around the playset. Most wooden sets typically range from about 10 to 12 feet high and are usually less than 25 feet long. Many wooden playsets are composed of lightweight and durable wooden frames that increase their stability and overall life expectancy.
There are many kinds of wood that playsets can be built from, including:
In some cases, a strong and cost-effective composite wood may be used in place of natural wood. Not only does this cut the price of the playset significantly, but it can also lead to fewer pest attacks and reduced rot risks over the years. Composite playsets will still require similar maintenance and a pressure washing schedule.
How To Maintain A Wooden Playset
To help your child’s wooden playset last for as long as possible, follow these helpful steps:
- If your playset is already stained and sealed, ensure that the color is holding properly.
- Sweep away all cobwebs or potential spider activity.
- Inspect the surrounding playset for any signs of pest infestation, including those of ants, termites, or stinging insects.
- Remove any detachable parts before winter hits. These can be reattached in the spring.
- Add new mulching (wood, rubber, or otherwise) to the underside of the playset. This will protect children by cushioning their fall and deter erosion which could destabilize the structure.
- Both stained and unstained wooden playsets should be pressure washed or lightly cleaned during spring to ensure the removal of rot, mildew, dirt, and other heavy grime.
You may own some children’s play equipment that uses plastic, vinyl, or metal as a decoration. Like their wooden counterparts, these elements of the child’s playset should be regularly cleaned and inspected for any deterioration signs.
How To Clean A Wooden Playset
Clean Light grime and dirt using a garden hose, a brush, and some soapy water. However, you cannot expect to remove all elements without the use of professional-grade equipment and pressure washing.
The best way to have your wooden playset cleaned is to call in a professional pressure washing crew as soon as possible. Contact a member of our hard-working team to get the ball rolling on your services.
How Often Should Wooden Playsets Be Cleaned
Stain or no stain, a wooden playset should be cleaned at least once a year, typically after all risks for ice and snow have passed. The pressure and soft washing services of the Squeegee Squad are perfectly adapted to care for sensitive wooden equipment such as your child’s playset.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment with our professional pressure washing crew, or reach out to us online to learn more about how the services offered like window cleaning,