Professional gutter cleaning typically isn’t at the forefront of a home or business owner’s mind, and it’s certainly not a fun or easy task. However, gutters and downspouts play an essential role in maintaining structural integrity from the roof to the foundation. So, what are the signs of clogged gutters, and what could possibly happen if gutter cleaning is neglected? Should a professional gutter cleaning service be hired? We’ll answer all of those essential questions here.
Signs of Gutter Neglect
Gutters are not transparent, so you can’t see what is inside them or visually detect where they may be clogged from ground level. However, there are other signs that gutters need cleaning that CAN be detected without ever stepping on a ladder or having a formal inspection.
- Signs of Natural ‘Invaders’: Any signs of birds nesting, excessive mosquitoes, or indications of other small pests tend to indicate an accumulation of debris that they find suitable to house or breed in. Hence, clogs exist or will soon.
- Water Overflowing From Sides of Gutters: Unless it’s a torrential downpour overloading the gutters, overflowing water from the sides generally indicates that impediments exist in the system.
- Stained Siding: Clogs allow dirty water to sit in gutters for long periods, and when released, this water can drip down the siding and cause stains. Stagnant water can also cause damage to the fascia behind gutters or damage roofing shingles above the gutter line.
- Gutter Gardens: Seeds from trees and floating pollinators can land in gutters and start literally growing a garden. While particularly problematic in foam-bottomed gutters, this can occur in any installation if debris and dirt are present inside them to serve as a home to a root system.
- Sagging Gutters: If there are any unlevel or low points visible in the gutter system, it’s likely due to excessive buildup or because water has sat stagnant in them for extended periods.
Any of these signs indicate that it’s time to consider getting on a ladder and checking the system out. If these problems are present, reach out and find a local professional gutter cleaning company like the Squeegee Squad to prevent further damage to the system or the structure they serve.
The Repercussions of Neglecting Gutter Cleaning
It might not seem like a big deal, but there are numerous potential impacts of neglecting gutter cleaning. Let’s explore some of the costly damage that can result from skipping this relatively minor maintenance task.
Do you want the roof caving in? That’s precisely what can happen should gutters fill up and allow water to sit on roofing installations for extended periods. In cold climates, standing water can also lead to ice dams, which contribute to weight beyond the roof’s capacity. Over time, the water and weight can cause the materials to degrade and lead to collapses or rotting, which will require major repairs.
Foundation and Basement Damage
Improperly functioning gutters tend to allow water to slide down the siding or land directly beneath the eaves of roofing installations. Not only can this stain siding, but this water seeps into the soil around foundations, which can lead to basement flooding and foundation damage. Again, freezing temperatures and water result in slippery, icy surfaces along with concrete expansion that can leave cracks behind.
If you don’t already have pests like roaches, mosquitoes, and rodents inhabiting and breeding in clogged gutters, it’s likely not going to be long before you do. These critters might be nature’s gifts, but they can source disease and illness in humans, such as rabies or malaria.
Mold, mildew, algae, and similar growths are not only unattractive, but they exacerbate many people’s allergies and respiratory systems. Having these pathogens removed fast is just one of the benefits of professional gutter cleaning that resolves both issues with lasting results.
Why Hire a Professional Gutter Cleaning Service?
Getting up on a ladder and using a high-pressure water cleaning system is best left up to professional gutter cleaning technicians. They have the tools, skills, and know-how to get the job done quickly, efficiently, and without causing damage to surrounding exteriors. Whether you need professional gutter cleaning or other exterior cleaning services, find a location near you today to discuss your needs and to receive a free consultation and estimate.